Friday, April 6, 2012

Memorial Service

On March 29th of this year my friend Chris said goodbye to his father as he left this world and went to be with Jesus.  I attended the memorial service this past Tuesday and it was beautiful and very eye opening for me.  Listening to 2 grown men and one grown woman share the childhood memories of there father made me realize something.  As my children get older they won't remember our financial stress, what kind of car I drove, where I worked, or how much money I made.  My children will remember me teaching them how to ride their bike, going on nature walks, baking cookies, me chaperoning their field trips, and being there for every school performance.  Going to Ken's memorial service made me realize I want to be a better mother.  I'm not saying I think I'm terrible at being a mother because it is absolutely what I love most about my life.  I'm saying I need to quit yelling at my children for wanting Mickey Mouse pancakes instead of plain ones.  I need to take time to stop and smell the flowers with them.  Genius people invented the DVR so I can record "my shows" and go play outside.  Ever since I had a heartfelt conversation with my daughter on Monday night I have been praying that God would make me a better mother.  God, please make me more patient, understanding, and child like again.  He has already blessed me with those things and all I had to do is ask.  I've noticed I'm talking to my children more calmly and I am being more understanding.  Even though Thomas has started his 3 year old meltdowns because we don't have goldfish to snack on, I think I'm taking it more lightly than I would have before I asked God for help.  It's funny how one day can put your whole life into perspective. 
 Chris, I'm sorry your father passed away and I'm sorry I never made him.  But from what I heard about him on Tuesday he reminded me so much of my father.  I'm glad your father lived the life that he did so he could teach me how to live mine.

Love,
Angi

1 comment: